What is the Gospel? In my last post on this subject, I gave a common list of points that people often use in sharing Jesus with others. On his Jesus Creed blog, Scot McKnight suggests the following as a better, fuller account of the Biblical Good News that we are called to proclaim:
- God loves you and everyone else and has a plan for us: the kingdom community.
- But you and everyone else have a sin problem that separates you and everyone else from God, from yourselves, from one another, and from the good world God made for you.
- The good news is that Jesus lived for you, died for you, was raised for you, and sent the Spirit for you - so you all can live as the beloved community.
- If you enter into Jesus' story, by repentance and faith, you can be reconnected to God, to yourself, to others, and to this world.
- Those who are reconnected like this will live now as God's community and will find themselves eternally in union with God and communion with others.