Thursday, October 9, 2008

THURSDAY THINGAMAJIG: A bit o' history

I've been thinking about church history this week...
  • We took our youngest son north to Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI for a college visit on Tuesday. He is interested in studying history and theology. We sat in on a wonderful class tracing history, philosophy and theology through the centuries.
  • Today I began reading Phyllis Tickle's eloquent new book, The Great Emergence, which gives a big picture framework for understanding periodic major reformations in religion over the course of history.
  • We've been attending a Lutheran church lately, and I've been brushing up on my Luther and Bach, too.
All this reminded me of a book on my shelf that I've neglected. I hope to peruse it this evening. It is by Mark Noll, called Turning Points: Decisive Moments in the History of Christianity. In this book, Noll identifies twelve key times in history when Christianity experienced important changes and transitions.

Could you name them?

I will list these turning points below, and it will be our assignment together to learn more about them, OK?
  1. The Fall of Jerusalem (70)
  2. The Council of Nicaea (325)
  3. The Council of Chalcedon (451)
  4. The Rule of Benedict (530)
  5. The Coronation of Charlemagne (800)
  6. The Great Schism (1054)
  7. The Diet of Worms (1521)
  8. The English Act of Supremacy (1534)
  9. The Founding of the Jesuits (1540)
  10. The Conversion of the Wesleys (1738)
  11. The French Revolution (1789)
  12. The Edinburgh Missionary Conference (1910)
Note: Extra points if you can identify the subject of the picture above!

No comments: