Thursday, October 16, 2008

WEDNESDAY QWOTE: Eugene Peterson

Today's quote is from my favorite author, Eugene Peterson, from an interview with Richard Foster at Renovare, July 2006.

By the way, I just picked up my copy of EP's latest book, Tell It Slant, the fourth volume in his series of "conversational theology." I'm looking forward to being enriched by his always insightful words, which are consistently subversive of so much of the nonsense we hear today about the faith, the church, and the ministry.
"We are at a crisis in the American Church. I don't know enough about the rest of the world to speak about it, but our rhetoric is louder and more abrasive. Our relationships are shallower, more superficial. We have an enormous amount of energy in churches in this country, and I would like to do with my readership what I've tried to do as a pastor: get them to take their lives seriously in the wholeness of Christ, not for what they can get out of Christ. I would like to make a dent in the debilitating consumer mentality that has beguiled religion and faith in this country."

No comments: